1.13.2009

Developing Story


Currently I'm reading Syd Field's Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting. It was recommended to me by another published author because of it's value not just to screenwriters but to writers in general. 

Mr. Field breaks down story into chewable pieces and give a great many examples of modern-day movies to illustrate his point.

Up until this book, especially during my time as a creative writing teacher, I did not think it possible to dissect a story that acutely and still have a quality story come out in the finished product. I was under the belief that too many "recipes" for successful stories produced a stilted and forced story, absent of anything genius. But, Mr. Field is able to break down story in a way that leaves all the room necessary for creative genius to flow, but also guarantees the story will have the elements to make it a quality story.

If you're a serious writer, there's a lot of food for thought in this book. I highly recommend it.  I'm going to put it on my Amazon wishlist so I will have it as reference when I compose my next story.

No comments: