2.06.2009

25 Things About Me


I have to admit, I had way too much fun writing this. Originally it was for FB, but I thought I'd share it with all of you too.

On a side note, Time magazine did their own sarcastic take on it. I'm not sure what to think, but the tally of hours spent worldwide filling this out is astounding. Think of what we could have accomplished collectively if we had spent our time on something more productive. Wow.

1. I felt peer pressured to do this. I came home from Cancun and had been tagged at least 10 times while I was gone. Apparently during an ice storm, the only thing to do is fill out questionaires on FB ;-)
2. I have a goal to not watch TV until Isaac gets home from work everyday, but I've broken that goal more than once already to watch Gilmore Girls--and they're even re-runs I've already seen. I'm an addict.
3. I played the oboe in middle school band and an orchestra in high school. We went "on tour" in Brazil my senior year. It was an incredible experience, but I kept it very secret that I was really no good at all. I don't even know how I got in. My dog would come to my room when I was practicing and howl while I played. Not even making that up.
4. I love to read, but I rarely find time to do it. That doesn't make any sense. I've got a fine closing in on $10 at the library. I usually just pay enough to keep it under $10. I'm pretty proud that the last book I read was "The Graveyard Book" and it just won the Newbery Award.
5. I'm an editor for a self-publisher. I'm working on some short articles to send in this week. I've got a mid-grade novel in the works, and my first 10 pages of my manuscript are going to be critiqued at a conference in March. And I'm a stickler for grammar. If I type in cell-speak or don't check my grammar on things I type, I feel guilty.
6. I check craigslist everyday for baby stuff. I frequently email the people to find out more details about the things I want, but I usually chicken out and don't buy anything.
7. I desperately want Andie to play soccer so I can be a soccer mom, but I'll let her have the final say (isn't that generous of me? ;-)
8. I made a goal to not get on FB until after lunch each day. At first it was really hard. I cheated a couple of times because I had convinced myself that I wouldn't have time after lunch since Andie would be up. And then after awhile, I found that I wasn't on FB much at all. I like it better that way.
9. I worked at Starbucks at the Barnes and Noble on 71st St when I was in college. I loved that job. Some of the people who worked with me still work there. I find that amazing.
10. I tried to convince God that it was His will for me to move near the mountains or ocean after Japan. . .I ended up in Oklahoma. Guess who won that argument?
11. I met the love of my life at Red Robin. He trayed up the food; I was a server so I'd grab the trays from him, we flirted, the rest is history. We pretty much dated from the first time we went out, so we were practically strangers. It was meant to be.
12. I love sushi, but I never order what I really want at restaurants because it's too expensive. So my cravings are never actually satisfied.
13. I taught English in Japan for 2 years. The things I miss most: the people, the food, the freedom to travel or do random things because my job required so little, the trains that took me everywhere, my futon and tatami room, my kotatsu, and oh so much more.
14. I'm going to be a published author soon. And I'm going to publish many many children's books.
15. I have a blog. It's geared toward writers, but there are recipes, random tidbits from my life, and semi-deep thoughts there as well. You should check it out www.plantingbamboo.blogspot.com
16. My maiden name, Uyetake, means "planting bamboo." I have used that for everything from handles to email addresses. Since getting married, the best we can figure is that Abad is Spanish for Abbott. Not nearly as exciting. But I do love being at the beginning of the alphabet.
17. I just answered some quiz about what I'd do with a million dollars. I think I said I'd buy a house and car first, but the truth is, I'd probably plan a huge trip and travel the world with my family. Traveling is one of my first loves.
18. Even though I'm on craigslist every day, I don't sell things on there often. For some reason it intimidates me. But, I need to get over it. Right now I'm looking to raise money for cloth diapers and then a bike trailer for Andie. I really want both of those, but I should scrape up the money first :)
19. I sleep with a down comforter on my bed all year long. I love the heaviness of it. I love falling on top of it and letting it poof out all around me.
20. I have a bazillion magazine subscriptions and only recently have I actually started reading them cover to cover.
21. I love that I'm reconnected with so many people on FB. I've met so many amazing people through the years and many many miles separate us. I feel closer on FB. But, I also think I rely too much on FB for my local friends. I need to just connect with them face to face.
22. I don't like answering the phone. If you call and I don't pick up, it's nothing personal. I don't pick up for most people.
23. I love the outdoors. . .but not in Oklahoma. As much as I love camping, cycling, walking, grilling, etc., it's hard to motivate myself to get out into the ungodly heat in OK. That makes me sad. But I'm determined to change that as Andie starts to walk and explore.
24. Being a stay-at-home mom is the best job ever. I'm the least stressed I've ever been. I love being home. I believe that right now I am doing the most important thing that God has called me to do. I must admit though, I miss my students. They made me smile all the time.
25. I have a zoo membership. We bought it for Andie, but she's not really going to benefit from it this year. It's more an excuse for me and Isaac to get out and have family time. Plus it's so cheap. And I love that there are so many trees there.

Ugh, I could go on forever. Good thing this made a limit to just 25 things. Otherwise you'd be reading a novel.

No comments: